First time hatching - coturnix quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pseudoarmadillo, Feb 11, 2017.

1. pseudoarmadillo

pseudoarmadillo Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Hi all! I'm a bit excited/terrified - I bought a Janoel12 incubator and ordered some fertile quail eggs, and set it all up and started incubation of 16 eggs 10 days ago. Turns out the incubator is rubbish - I think the thermostat broke about 6 days in, and it overheated horribly - I thought I must have cooked all the babies. Since then I've been doing a chaotic ad-hoc arrangement with the eggs sitting in the incubator egg-tray/base inside an esky and the incubator lid (heater and fan) balanced beside them, and regulating the temp by opening/closing the esky lid! I was sure they'd all be dead. But we candled them yesterday and all except 5 are dark with a clearly distinguishable air cell, and we even saw good veins and some little legs kicking and chicks shifting around. So, if i can keep up the struggle to maintain a good temp for another few days, we might have some baby quail. Just wanted to share with some people who might relate to the excitement... :-D

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I hope your babies make it! I'm hoping to order some quail eggs soon too!

3. dawnmt70

dawnmt70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2016
    Billings, Montana
    Crud. I just got that incubator. [​IMG]

4. pseudoarmadillo

Feb 5, 2017
    It's behaving itself now! We've just had some really hot days and I think it couldn't cope with the room temperature oscillating between really hot and air-conditioned. I ended up putting it inside an esky to try and protect it from shifts in temperature, adn that seemed to work. And candled a couple of eggs last night and saw some little legs kicking or something, so it looks like the temp spikes haven't killed them, anyway! Although, honestly, I feel so clueless I'll be amazed if any of them make it...

5. dawnmt70

dawnmt70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2016
    Billings, Montana
    That honestly makes me feel much better! If they are wiggling around now you should have a decent hatch provided things continue well. Would love to hear back when they do!

6. pseudoarmadillo

Feb 5, 2017
    I will definitely be boring everybody with lots of photos of new chicks... hopefully!

7. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Won't be boring for me![​IMG]

8. pseudoarmadillo

Feb 5, 2017
    Well, they're in lockdown! fingers crossed...

9. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] I can't wait for pictures!!!!!!! What color are they?

10. pseudoarmadillo

Feb 5, 2017
    I dont know yet what colours we'll get... the breeder that I bought the eggs off has a wide range of colours (and breeds super-large quail, apparently) so we'll see. It's nice to have the surprise to look forward to. I woke up this morning and lots of them are pipping, and I've heard a few little cheeps, so I've obviously managed not to kill them and its all on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by