First time hatching ducklings for me and my duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quails-101, Jun 18, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    I went out in my garage to check on my muscovy girl sitting on her eggs and her mate sitting right next to her and when she got up to get some food and water I seen her out and went to see how many eggs she was sitting on and she has been sitting on those eggs nonstop for about 5 days now and this is the only time I cot her off her nest so I went to check it out and her mate is sitting on her eggs. I didn't know male ducks did that. But she is laying on 14 eggs and the whole nest is made out of horse hair and mostly her feathers. Of coarse she chose the car garage in stead of the bird barn but she has her nest in the corner were the horse stall and the wall outside the stall and of coarse under a engine stand behind the chevelle witch is the safest place since she doesn't half to worry about anything since she can see every corner of the barn and nothing on top of her do to the engine stand so it was a very smart place to put a nest as long as one of the ponies don't step on a duckling when they hatch. And there is a 670 pound 454 big block over top of her but it is a very strong engine rack so no worries.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck for a successful incubation. Muscovies are usually excellent parents.

1 person likes this.
  3. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    yea I didn't even bother incubating them I just let her sit on them so she learns how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by