1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching ducklings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plumpudds, Apr 14, 2016.

1. plumpudds

plumpudds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    Hey :) I've got six duck eggs and I'm on day 5 for about four of them and day 7 for the other two. I've candled them and four of them look totally fine! (I was so relieved! I'd all but convinced myself that none of them would be!) For the last two though, they've got oddly shaped air sacs and I think it's to do with the fact that I received them through the post. I've put them vertical so that the air stays at the top but I was wondering what else I can do for them? And they have these dark spots in the air sacs and I can't find anything to say what it is and what I should do? Sorry for the long post :)

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hello! I'm about to start some duck eggs tomorrow myself :) Can you post a picture of the odd things in the air cells? As for the oddly shaped air cells as long as they're not detached you should be okay, and putting them vertically will help.

3. plumpudds

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    Thank you! :D The air cells don't move around so I don't think they're detached and I'll get a picture later tonight when I candle them. It won't be great quality though, since I can only take it on my phone. Also after looking a little closer I think it may just be the shadow from the developing embryo. Thank you so much for getting back to me though! And I hope they do well! :D What breed of **** are you hatching? And how many? (Sorry for being nosy! :) )

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Not nosy at all! Today I'm starting khaki campbells, and mid next week I'm starting some welsh harlequins. A dozen of each :) What breed are you hatching?

5. plumpudds

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    Oooh! :D Good luck! Have you hatched them before? Mine are white campbells :)

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Yep, ducklings were actually the first thing I ever hatched :) I tend to do more chicks now, but still some ducklings from time to time. I've never seen white campbells before, you'll have to post pictures!

7. plumpudds

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    Aww! :) I'll make sure to post some up here! I'd love to see yours too!

8. plumpudds

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    We're nearing day 22 now! The excitement/anxiety is reaching peak point! XD All six eggs are still alive and well and developing right. It looks like the first problem was just me being overly jumpy and paranoid. :) We've settled on the names Daisy (for mum's) and Pumpkin (for mine) and I really can't wait to meet them! :D How are yours coming along?

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Mine are all doing well! The eleven khaki eggs are all coming along, even the one with the detached air cell. The 17 WH I put in that were shipped to me are all developing too :eek:

10. plumpudds

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    That's great! :D When are they due to hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by