first time hatching ducks in incubator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by babycampbell, May 16, 2011.

1. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Ok so we are on day 26 in the incubator. we had them for 2 days on the counter before the incubator arrived. Well thursday night one egg started moving just a little and friday, sat. and sunday it moved allot now today not much movement at all. WHAT SHOULD WE DO??

We got the eggs from a farm near us she said some should be muscovy & mallard but we are not sure which ones are which. We are doing this as a fun exp. with our kids. we know the directions say 99 to 100 degrees 26-28 days all that.

Any suggestions??
    thanks

2. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    its normal for the eggs to have no movement. As long as nothing changed from thusday, i.e temp, moisture, then the eggs should hatch just fine.

3. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    ok thanks. so should it only take 26-28 days a few other sites i have been to today say 35? that is the first i have read that. the paper work i have says 26-28.
    thank you so much for your reply i was getting worried.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    muscovies can take up to 35 days to hatch. I am in the middle of a Rouen hatch and they started pipping on Thursday and are still hatching tonight...Actually due tomorrow!

5. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    we stopped turning the 3 days before the 26th day like directions said is that gonna hurt them.?? no ducks yet and its day 28.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It would by bad for the muscovy eggs if they are pure muscovy to stop turning them- but since you dont know which are which- or if they are eggs from a cross breeding that can really complicate things. It is actually day 25 that the turning should stop, and day 32 for muscovy eggs. With movement already seen- is it more likely to be the lower number of days for incubation- as generally it is just a few days before hatch that frequent movement can be seen rather than a whole ten days before hatch. Lack of movement can sometimes indicate the membrane is dry. What is the humidity reading at the moment??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by