First Time Hatching Eggs - Cool Video of Copper Marans Hatching and A Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by houseofpeeps, Mar 7, 2015.

1. houseofpeeps

houseofpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    We are hatching eggs for the first time. We have two incubators running, and are on day 24 today. We have a homemade incubator that my husband made of Styrofoam, and a LG still air incubator. On day 22 one of the eggs in the homemade incubator pipped and within 6 hours had hatched. The chick is now running around happily (although probably lonely) in the brooder box.

On day 23 (yesterday), we had an egg pip in the LG. I now know that the LG was running at a temperature that is too low for a still air incubator (99-100), and that is what I attribute to the late hatching. During the evening 3 more pipped in the LG, and one hatched (video link below). The one that hatched had a cord with a light yellow/beige blob attached to it. The blob has since fallen off, but the cord is still attached. He doesn't seem to be in any distress, and there is no blood. Is the best course of action to wait and let this cord dry up? Do these things fall off?

http://youtu.be/AvbpDhI2i1Q

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    As long as the other chicks are not pecking at the "cord" yes, let it dry up and then if it's still there you can cut it off so it's closer to the belly. My first hatcher had this problem, but he was an only hatcher so I didn't have to worry about others pecking at it. After it dried up I just cut it off closer to the belly and the rest fell off by itself. If they are pecking I'd seperate him until it's dry enough to cut closer. Ata least that's my opinion.
    And yup, still air bators should be 101-102. You did wait 24 hours to start counting day 1, right?

3. houseofpeeps

houseofpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Thanks! That makes me feel better. No one else has come out yet, so he is still the only one running around in the incubator. I'll watch him closely when the others hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by