First time hatching eggs..little help? lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gayle Ambrosini, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Gayle Ambrosini

Gayle Ambrosini Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    NW Indiana
    I have 2 broody hens (Saxony ducks) that sit on the nest most of the time so I'm letting them do their thing and only gathering the new eggs when I see them go out to stretch their legs.
    Today there was one egg that had been pushed out and it was ice cold. How long can a developing egg survive before the duckling dies? It's pretty chilly in Indiana yet.
    Out of curiosity I candled it which I'm new to, and then I cracked it open figuring it was dead anyway if there WAS anything in it and here's what I found.
    A slimy developing duck that was more eyes than anything.
    The yolk was thin and runny, not round and formed.
    There was no movement from the duckling and it was laid 16 days ago.
    The blood veins were intact and bright red.
    So, did I kill it? Was it already dead? Is the yolk supposed to be like that in a fertile egg?
    Appreciate any answers as I have no idea what they're supposed to look like inside as they're growing. (I'll look up growth stages on line)
    Thanks!
    Gayle

2. Gayle Ambrosini

Gayle Ambrosini Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    NW Indiana
    After looking I'd say this duckling died around day 8. Perhaps I allowed them to keep the eggs too early in the season.
    Bummer. :(
    I'll have a good look at the rest of them tomorrow and get rid of any stinkers then let them keep a few more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by