First time hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nat1710, Jan 28, 2017.

1. nat1710

nat1710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017
    My bantam started laying just after Xmas she was born at the end Of June. I decided to let her sit on her eggs, she layed 11 and started sitting 10 days ago. I candled them and can't really tell if I am seeing the yolk or something in there, but figure it's likely to be pretty obvious by now.

Wen I went to shut her in for the night I've had come out of the nest and was cold so I broke it, no signs of any development but it had the bullseye mark so was fertile.

Should I take them all away and let her lay more? If I do this I have a question as last time the eggs got dirty waiting for her to lay them all before sitting. Is there anything I can do to stop this or does it matter?

Thanks

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

By day 10 you would clearly see an embryo and veins....The heart would be seen under candling........Are you sure the eggs are fertile?

3. chickens really

What you do is collect eggs that are fertile....I take it you have a Rooster.......

You can collect eggs for up to ten days and store in a cool room in an egg carton with the Big end up. pointy end down.....And use a book under the carton to shift the eggs daily so the yolk does not stick to the membrane inside........

Once you have about 8 eggs collected pop them under her as long as she is still Broody..........If she was still laying and those eggs became cold they will not hatch......They need to be set before they start developing.....

Cheers!

4. chickens really

Also once a Hen sets to brood, they do not lay eggs anymore.....

5. chickens really

Are you sure she is even Broody at all?

Does she sit all day and growl or puff up really big when you approach the nest?.....If she is still laying, she is not Broody.....I have Two Broodys....One with Chicks and one just setting 10 eggs as of yesterday.......They are mean, cranky Birds right now.......

Reply Back........Only trying to help you......

Cheers!

6. nat1710

Jan 28, 2017
    No she stopped laying when she got to 11, makes a funny noise when you are near and only comes out twice a day for a few minutes. When she is out she does a poo like a massive one and eats and drinks then goes straight back it.

7. nat1710

Jan 28, 2017
    We have a rooster and I have seen evidence of him fertilising [​IMG]

8. nat1710

Jan 28, 2017
    So if I take her eggs and then collect around 8 then put them back after storing as you suggest, I can give them back for her to sit on.

Will she take a while to start laying again? She is my only hen, we have a cockerel and a male and female duck

9. nat1710

Jan 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

10. nat1710

Jan 28, 2017
    That is the egg I cracked, I've never looked for one before but is this the bullseye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by