First time hatching eggs

AfroditaVita

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2021
Hi everyone, I have decided to hatch some chicks, it will be my first time hatching chickens in the incubator. Now, my grandparents have experience with raising and hatching eggs so I have some support but I still need some advice.
1. The problem is that only one person has eggs from one of the breeds I want to hatch and it will take at least a week to get those eggs and I'm not sure how long I can wait from the time I got those eggs until i can get the other eggs I also want to add.
2. Can I have the incubator in my living room or should I have it in the basement.
3. Is it ok to start hatching in February or is it to soon and it will be to cold?
4. Can I hatch miniature chickens with 'normal' sized chickens or is there a different in hatching?
5. The eggs will be delivered through the post, what should I be careful about? I know they have to be left alone turned down for 24h when delivered.

1. A week is about the maximum amount of time you want to wait on fertile eggs, they'll last longer but the fertility drops considerably.
2. It's best to put the incubator in a warmer, steady temperature area. I think you're living room would be better unless it's a finished basement.
3. Some people hatch in February, but you need to keep them inside longer and chicks are messy. I'd wait until your nighttime temperatures are above freezing and then set, so by the time they hatch and your brood them for a few weeks, it will be warm enough.
4. Bantam eggs sometimes hatch a little quicker, but I'm not sure if it varies by breed.
5. You need to look out for saddled, loose or scrambled air cells, most people don't turn the eggs for a few days to help the cells stabilize.
make sure to calibrate your incubator.
here's some BYC articles full of the information you need. :]
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-shipped-eggs.75470/

1. The problem is that only one person has eggs from one of the breeds I want to hatch and it will take at least a week to get those eggs and I'm not sure how long I can wait from the time I got those eggs until i can get the other eggs I also want to add.
All of the eggs need to start at the same time to avoid a staggered hatch. Can you wait to get the first eggs so they all get there at the same time? If you cannot I'd either get a second incubator or wait until the first eggs hatch before I got and started the second group.

Since you don't know how long the shipper took to collect the eggs before shipping them I'd consider the time they were in shipping to be part of the week you can wait.

2. Can I have the incubator in my living room or should I have it in the basement.
What are the conditions in your living room? your basement? Most incubators say they need the temperature to be at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 C) but most can handle it a little cooler. The air temperature needs to be steady, no sharp up and downs. Keep the incubator out of winds like when you open a door or from heating or AC vents. Keep it out of direct sunlight that could heat it up which probably means away from windows without curtains.

I don't know if your living room or basement better fits those conditions.

3. Is it ok to start hatching in February or is it to soon and it will be to cold?
I have no idea where you are located or what type of temperatures and weather conditions you are talking about. Where do you plan to brood them, inside or outside? How old will they be when you put them outside? Can you safely provide reliable heat outside?

If you can provide a suitable stable location for the incubator it doesn't matter what is going on outside as long as you don't lose power. If you are brooding indoors it doesn't matter what is going on outside. When you take them outside it does matter. You are going to use shipped eggs. It is more likely you will have problems during shipping if the weather is severe. For your first time I'd suggest you wait until the weather warms up.

4. Can I hatch miniature chickens with 'normal' sized chickens or is there a different in hatching?
I don't raise bantams so I have no experience with that. I've read that smaller eggs can, maybe, might hatch earlier than regular sized eggs but I don't know how consistent that is. If your incubator has an automatic turner and it is a rocker type how well will bantam eggs fit? If it is a roller type turner that should not be a problem.

Personally I'd be willing to try it but there is a possibility of extra drama at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom