First time hatching- Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady622, Feb 7, 2017.

1. chickenlady622

chickenlady622 Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    Hi all. I'm a fairly new chicken mama (have had my little flock just over a year) and decided to try my hand at hatching my own babies. Awesome right? Right. So today is day 22, I had one baby hatch sometime from the evening of day 20 into the wee hours of day 21, one more follow suit the evening of day 21, three more the late hours of day 21 into early this morning, and one late comer this afternoon. 6 eggs still to go. At what point do I give up and take the newly hatched out of the incubator?

2. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Day 25 is usually the last possible day of a chicken to hatch

1 person likes this.
  3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

If you don't see any more hatch by tomorrow, I'd take out your already hatched baby chicks because they can only be fine for 3 days in the incubator then they have to drink and eat. You can wait another day or two to see if any more hatch but day 24 is usually the day to give up.

How many eggs do you have incubating? Do you see any others with pips?

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I have personally found that if it's been 24 hours since the last hatch, the hatch is probably finished. I know someone out there will probably say that they have had them hatch beyond that, and I'm sure they have. But by far and away most eggs in the same incubator generally hatch relatively close together.

Nice job on your first hatch!!! Good for you[​IMG]

5. chickenlady622

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    I have 6 left to hatch out of 12. The 6 babies in there now are moving the eggs all around so I can't tell if I have any that are pipped. Should I open the incubator to see?

6. chickenlady622

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    It will be 24 hours tomorrow afternoon since the last hatch. Is it okay to leave the babies in there until then? I've read so many conflicting things so I've been afraid to open the incubator and take them out.

7. CherriesBrood

I wouldn't open the bator until the 3 day mark on the hatched babies. It's alright to take them out at 3 days if you do it quick and gently. Then at that time look at the others to see any pips. If you do see pips at that point then it may be time to assist, if your up for that. There is a great article on here that guides you through it, I'll find it for you if you want.

If you don't see any pips when you take the chicks out then tape the eggs and listen for peeping if you hear none then it's time to give up, if you hear peeping then it's time to assist.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please let me know. :)

8. chickenlady622

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    Okay so 3 days from the first baby hatching? And yes if you could guide me through "helping" them if there are pips I would appreciate it! I have literally NO idea what I'm doing!

9. CherriesBrood

10. chickenlady622

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    THANK YOU!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by