first time hatching im on day 21 for about half of them rest is day 21 on sunday

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jedidiahsfarm20, Aug 2, 2014.

1. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    the first chick hatched 100% on its own the next one needed a little bit of help and now i have one 97% outa shell just has a red string like cord on it and what looks like veins on inside of the shell please help me????;((

2. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    anyone out there can you help?/ i was referred to this website

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Pay more attention to the explanations about the hatching process than the assisted hatching parts at this point. There are still things that need to happen inside the egg after the chick has punctured the shell. It can take over 24 hours for the zipping to start after the chick has pipped externally. The yolk and veins need to be absorbed. I don't know what to do about the one that has hatched and has veins hanging, I'd say chances are 50-50 with that one. But don't hurry assisting them in hatching, just keep the humidity high in the incubator to keep them from drying up, and avoid opening it because a lot of the humidity escapes every time you do.

Good luck with your hatch.

If you find the link helpful, be sure to thank @Sally Sunshine

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    ok thankyou

5. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    And it could take up to 24 hrs after the chick punctures the egg to fully hatch??

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Even more. Do not even think about trying to break the egg broken before the 24 hour mark, the chick isn't ready hatch then yet. It needs to learn to breath air and absorb the yolk and veins.

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Oh, and the hatching process is a very big effort for the chick, so it's normal for it to pause and rest quite often.

8. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Ok thank you so much ill let you know how she does

9. jedidiahsfarm20

jedidiahsfarm20 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    she made it 100% out of the shell and is walking around nicely now thank you

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Good. Any eggs left?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by