1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching in Brinsea - we have a pip!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoORchick73, Mar 24, 2016.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    18 eggs in lockdown, hatch day tomorrow but the only green egg has a pip!!! Rest are from my Americauna eggs (all blue). I'm so excited!!! I'm wondering how long now...I keep checking it. Humidity is at 72% does that sound right? I find so many different suggestions on humidity for the last 2 days. I don't think I'll sleep tonight!!!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't think you will either...lol I don't during hatch. 72% sounds good. Hatching humidity really depends on your hatching habits. If you are hands off and do not open the bator during hatch, you can successfully hatch at 65% If you are hands on and you open your bator during hatching then you really want to be up over that 70%. I myself use 75% and once they start hatching it rises.

You're bator will play a factor as well. The smaller the bator, the quicker you're going to get condensation. If you see condensation you can cut it back. You don't want to see condensation in the bator.

1 person likes this.
  3. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Thank you, I won't open it! I haven't since yesterday. I'm a nurse and brought home an NG tube and 60 ml syringe and put jewelry wire as an introducer through tubing to add water through vent. :) I also have wool felt in humidity reservoirs. We hear PEEPING!!! Kids and I are so excited! Wish I could add pics with iphone app :\

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by