First time hatching is the chick okay?

Phil95

Hatching
Aug 2, 2021
Its my first time hatching I have a broody hen hatching some eggs and some in the brinsea ( still 8 days left) the broody hen is doing a amazing job two beautiful Jersey giants have hatch both healthy, the 3rd seems to be trying to hatch from the non air sack end, its pipped and zipping chirping away, will this chick be okay? I know a broody hen knows what's shes doing but just thought I would ask for some advice on this

Its my first time hatching I have a broody hen hatching some eggs and some in the brinsea ( still 8 days left) the broody hen is doing a amazing job two beautiful Jersey giants have hatch both healthy, the 3rd seems to be trying to hatch from the non air sack end, its pipped and zipping chirping away, will this chick be okay? I know a broody hen knows what's shes doing but just thought I would ask for some advice on this

We call this a breach hatch (wrong end), and it will be fine if it's able to pip and zip...

Okay, thank you for your reply 😊
You're welcome. I can't readily find more information on breach hatches, but below is another BYC user that ran into the same thing.
In our experience, when we have a chick that's breach in the shell, they've almost always been able to pip and zip on their own. If the chick can't zip the shell after the pip, you may be looking at an "assisted hatch", but that should only be a LAST resort as success is tough to achieve.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hatching-breach-eggs.1069072/

You're welcome. I can't readily find more information on breach hatches, but below is another BYC user that ran into the same thing.
In our experience, when we have a chick that's breach in the shell, they've almost always been able to pip and zip on their own. If the chick can't zip the shell after the pip, you may be looking at an "assisted hatch", but that should only be a LAST resort as success is tough to achieve.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hatching-breach-eggs.1069072/
( update ) the chick has just hatched 😍

Attachments

• 20210802_200024.jpg
    20210802_200024.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom