First time hatching quail

Lalegid

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Hi there, I'm just looking for some quail-hatching wisdom, it's my first time hatching the wee creatures. They are due today, I have 12 coturnix eggs in lock down. One has started to hatch, but it has pipped half way down the egg (closer to the pointy end), is this chick in the wrong position? I assumed they would generally pip in the air bubble at the blunt end. If that is the case, what's the deal with assisting quail to hatch, and do they take around 24-30+ hours to fully hatch (like chooks)?

yeah everything is the same as chickens pretty much. It can take up to 30 hours for a quail to unzip so just wait it out. The biggest difference is that quail (except buttons) can stay in the incubator for 24 hours without any ill effect. They have plenty of nutrition from their recently absorbed yolks and often wont eat anyway if taken out of the bator before that 24 hour mark.

As dc3085 said, they are much like chickens in how the pipping/hatching goes. I like to give the eggs an extra day after hatching day for any late hatchers. I only help eggs hatch if they have gone more than 24 hours struggling and not getting any foward progress. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies, the one that had begun to hatch died in the shell - I think something must have been wrong with it. The others haven't started to hatch yet, they are a day late now so hopefully will start to hatch soon!

Back
Top Bottom