First time hatching question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whitewinterwolf, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I just got an incubator for christmas, and I offered to use it for the kids at church.
    Anyway, i ordered a batch of eggs that will be shipped priority mail tomorrow HOWEVER! My fiancee put an egg in there this morning from my own flock to see if it would work without me knowing. *I just found it* Not that I mind, but now I have a batch being sent in the mail...
    Can I add the other hatching eggs in there when I get them? Or would that be a problem with my fiancees little project?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would take the egg out and put it in when you get your shipped eggs. It will probably hatch a little earlier, but the sooner you take it out before development starts the better. Just my opinion.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    You could also do a "staggered hatch" which makes things a tad more difficult - but not much. Do a search for "staggered hatch" and you can read a lot about how to do it.
    ETA: If it were me, though, I'd do as the previous poster suggested - and take it out and add it back in with the others. It hasn't been in there long enough to do much developing.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Ok, so it wont do any damage to simply remove the egg for the time being and wait for the other eggs to arrive?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Ok, so it wont do any damage to simply remove the egg for the time being and wait for the other eggs to arrive?

Not if it was put in just this morning but I would keep it in a relatively warm place. I have done it and still had a successful hatch.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts

Not if it was put in just this morning but I would keep it in a relatively warm place. I have done it and still had a successful hatch.

Ok, I will do that then.
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by