First time hatching question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saintbee, Mar 22, 2015.

1. saintbee

saintbee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Finger Lakes, New York
    I got 40 "rarest of the rare" hatching eggs from McMurray. After loosing my shipment the first week, They sent me 50, 11 of which were broken. There was yolk everywhere. I wiped what I could off the undamaged eggs and set them all yesterday. I went to turn them this morning and 3 had fused to the turner due to yolk j hadn't gotten off and while I gently tried to remove them, I ended up breaking one broke and it got everywhere. I cleaned it up as best I could but the incubator was open for awhile and the temperature dropped about 10 degrees for maybe 15 minutes then the humidity rocketed up to 70% for about two hours before I noticed due to the new water I had to add. Anyway, everything is okay now but do you guys think my eggs will be okay?

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    If they were that roughly handled on the way to you to break 11 eggs, I'd say the overall chances are not too good. Your cleanup should not have made any difference for the worse.

I wouldn't have turned them, though, with the rough handling. Not for the first few days, anyhow.

3. saintbee

Jul 15, 2014
    Finger Lakes, New York
    They were sitting for 2 days before I put them in

4. saintbee

Jul 15, 2014
    Finger Lakes, New York
    But I agree. They were just expensive. I was quite disappointed. It was Fedexs fault, it had obviously happened right before final delivery and McMurray is sending me some replacements but it's definitely local eggs for me from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by