First time hatching questions regarding lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mondotomhead, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I have 12 bantam eggs I put in lockdown on day 18.

Yesterday was day 19 and nothing is happening yet, nor anything this morning at 6 am (Day 20). When should I expect to see "rolling" or hear peeping or even see pips?

Also, before lockdown I candled them and the eggs were all "dark" and looked like the pictures I've seen on this sight for day 18 eggs. Should I have seen some kind of movement? The eggs all looked to filled up to see any movement.

I so anxious and when I'm home I'm constantly looking. The wait is killing me[​IMG]

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    first of all, CONGRATS!!! [​IMG]Next, I know the waiting is hard........just hang in there!
    Sometimes they wont start till day 21, 22 or 23!!!!!! From what you said, it sounds like they all developed.....

Just sit back, don't open the incubator [​IMG] and enjoy! [​IMG]
    Keep us posted on how it is going!

3. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge

Thanks for posting the above. I feel better. My DH is sick of my fretting. This has been the longest 3 weeks I've ever experienced[​IMG]

4. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    When I got home tonight I was in my usual position of studying the eggs when I mistakenly bumped the incubator. I HEARD PEEPING[​IMG]

At least one is alive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by