1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching shipped eggs. HELP!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Tammylr, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    eggs arrived two days ago. Let them sit with fat end up and at today room temp for 24 hours. I then put them in the incubator in the turner without it on, fat end up for another 24 hours. The air cells are still loose, how long can I wait before I have to start turning? When I got them all the air cells were ruptured so we are getting better as the air cells have come back together but still don't look good.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I hatched some shipped eggs last year, not sure how the air cells were because they were dark brown eggs. I actually incubated them for the first 2 weeks in a point down position. I cut the bottoms out of a foam egg carton and sat them in it, point down, instead of turning I just tilted them back and forth gently for the first 2 weeks, then I figured if they weren't better after that much time they weren't getting better. 4 out of 6 hatched.

3. Tammylr

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    I like those odds. I'll start tilting them. Thanks!

4. Tammylr

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    Ok, candles this morning and all air cells are attached, some are jiggly but not raining and others are saddle shaped buy firm. They look so much better than they did on arrival. So eggcited!

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Much luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by