First time hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by richred1, Sep 9, 2016.

1. richred1

richred1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    Dickinson Texas
    I'm so excited, I just had to share!
    My chickens had dropped off laying eggs during our Texas heat and I kind of just assumed that they were done for a bit. Then a few weeks ago, I noticed my Blue Orpington "Ceto" wasn't getting out of the besting box. I thought she was sick or something so, I opened the back up,saw that she was fine and had 10 eggs under her! So, since I didn't know how long they had been there, I figured what the heck! Let her give it a try!
    And today.... I got my first baby!!! I am so freaking happy!! Here is my little one. Now, we wait for any others to arrive. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats! There's always something special about letting a momma hen hatch her eggs. You go out and peek under and find some little poofs under her. Then you get to watch her lead them around the yard, teaching them everything they need to know about being a good chicken. Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. lrumpf

lrumpf New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    So, I have a question I haven't seen the answer to yet going through these threads. I've got 4 hens and roo, which has been in with them for about 2 weeks. I got my first egg today ( same as you I think heat layer off production in Texas). How do I know if it's a fertilized egg. It's in the nest box and she's wondering around doing her own thing? Will she sit on it? Should I remove it? I'd rather let her do the work. I'm new to this stuff!

4. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    A hen will only sit on eggs when she's "broody". She'll go into a trance like state and will only get off the nest to eat, drink, and poo. (Hopefully she won't do this in the nest.) This tendency varies, sometimes greatly, by breed and the individual bird. I haven't heard of many cases of really young hens going broody. Not all, but a majority of my mother hens have been a year old before they decided to set. With only one roo and four hens, you can probably safely count on your eggs being fertile. If you want, you can also break your eggs open to make sure of the fertility. Here's a link to a thread that demonstrates this very well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

5. lrumpf

lrumpf New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    Thank you. So if I want to hatch the egg(s) and I dont have someone sitting on them, I'll have to incubate them?
    Thanks again! I have got so much information on this site by going through the posts!

6. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    You're very welcome! That's correct. Only way to hatch eggs without a mother bird is by incubator. If you get a broody hen, like you said, let her do the work. The way nature intends things is best, a lot of the time. [​IMG]

7. richred1

Jan 16, 2015
    Dickinson Texas
    Here's my first hatch out....Chicken Little.....she's 6month old now. Her sister/brother didn't make it. So, I had to pay extra attention to this little one until it was time for her to go out with the full grown chickens. She definitely prefers my company over theirs but she's adjusting well. Isn't she sweet??[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Dharmachick

Dharmachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    She is beautiful!

9. richred1

Jan 16, 2015
    Dickinson Texas
    Thank you! I think so too!

10. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:She is a very good looking bird! Pretty coloring on her too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by