First time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by everythingjane, May 9, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    This is my first attempt at hatching.. I'm using a Little Giant with turner. Just put the eggs in last night. I've taken the plugs out of the top and the humidity is steady at 65%.. Is this too high?
    The temperature is also steady.. although It's hard to tell what it is.. I bought a digital outdoor thermometer w/ humidity readout.. It's consistently 99-100 degrees.. The thermometer that came with the incubator reads 3-4 degrees higher.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Bring your humidity down to 45% or so until the last few days before hatch (when 65% will be about right). I don't know how accurate a LG thermometer is, maybe someone on here can help you out with that. I know a lot of people like to average their two thermometers, since very few thermometers are spot on. Is the LG still air? If so you want the temp to stay around 101 degrees.

I wish you the best of luck with your hatch!!! [​IMG] I'm just at the end of my very first hatch with 18 set, one total dud, 7 hatched [​IMG] , 2 apparent quitters [​IMG] , 1 still working on zipping [​IMG] , and 7 still with no outward signs of doing anything [​IMG] .

3. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I forgot to mention that I took some water out earlier, but no change in humidity. How do I lower it??
    The incubator is in the basement.. I'm going to try measuring the humidity in the room itself..
    Thanks!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Remember that surface area, not depth of water, is what changes the humidity. You have to completey empty a chamber and allow it to dry before you will see much change in himidity. If your basement humidity is high, you may not need any water at all until hatch.

5. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.. I removed all the water and took the sensor out to see what the basement humidity was.. 45 minutes later if was showing 64%.. I put it in the incubator again and several hours later the humidity is showing 64%...
    So.. what do you do if the room already has high humidity?

Yes, it is still air... Would a fan help with humidity?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Is there another option as to where to have your incubator? You could use a dehumidifier in the basement, but it might be easier to find another room. ???[​IMG]

7. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Just checked the humidity upstairs, and it's even higher!
    Wish I'd realized this would be a problem before I put the eggs in.. I thought since my temperature was steady it was good..

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If you still have all your vents open, try closing some of them, the heater in the incubator might dry the air out some, you will still have air circulation from the other venting in the incubator.

Last edited: May 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by