First time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aceoftrumps, Nov 20, 2010.

1. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Right on time...today is day 21...one chick out...looks like two more are pipped....and some of them are rolling all over the bottom of the incubator. Hey, this ain't so hard. hehehe

Kurt

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    And now you are hooked! Welcome to the club of hatching until your chicks runneth over! [​IMG]

It is fun and addictive and is certainly the best hobby one could have.

Congrats on your hatch and enjoy the fuzzies.[​IMG]

3. aceoftrumps

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Update:

Two more hatched, six more are pipped. I started out with 30 eggs...7 of them candled bad...down to 23. Waiting on the rest now. I'm really feeling good about this hatch.

Partridge Rock parents bought from MMH....and they were alert and hungry!

If the rest don't hatch, the incubator has been worth the experience.

Incubator is a LG Model 9200 still air model.

Kurt

4. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Congrats on the Hatch:jumpy

gigi

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have the same incubator as you. Since you had such a good experience (and I'm new to this), what temp and humidity did you use throughout incubation?? Thanks & Congrats on your new chicks!!

6. aceoftrumps

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    The temp is exactly as recommended....99.5 and the humidity was around 40-50% most of the time.....at lockdown, put the plugs back in for three days and got it up to 60% til they started pipping, then took the plugs out. Humidity fell to below 50%. Temps hovering between 99/101. And let me say that these eggs came from pullets. I know now, not recommended, but I didn't know any better. And I didn't pick and choose the eggs. They were whatever they laid in two days time....some big, some small. I just followed directions and probably more dumb luck than anything. Four have hatched, two are unzipping and two more are pipped. The hatched ones are active and peeping but not interested in food or water yet. I moved them out of the incubator into a cardboard box with a light in it as soon as they dried off. It must be warm enough for them ~90/95 degs....as they are not crowding together.

I candled at 8 days and culled some....then again at 14 days and culled a couple more. In two more days, gonna do the float test on those that haven't pipped by then. (with warm water) I don't want to go through an exploding egg!!!

As soon as they're all hatched, gonna vaccinate for Mareks and then they go into their outside brooder their parents were raised in.

Scorecard: Started with 30, culled down to 23...4 are hatched, two are unzipping and four have pipped. I'm worried about one of the unzipped ones because it's having a hard time getting through that tough inner lining. Hopefully it's not stuck to it!

I have to say,it was enjoyable raising my first two sets...the second one more than the first, since they were only one day old when they were shipped. Raising these from hatch is gonna be even more fun!

Good luck on your hatch.....my advice is to follow directions included with your incubator to the letter. That's all I did. I'm pure amateur!

Kurt

7. aceoftrumps

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Another update: I now have an even dozen of the fuzzy butts. Three more hatched last night. I'm really enjoying this.

Kurt

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Congratulations on your chickies! [​IMG] You give me courage to do this for my first time. So worried that I am going to screw it up but maybe it will go well for me too! You have to post pictures of the new fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think I approach each hatch as if it were my first... As if I'm gonna screw SOMETHING up!

I am still happy if 1 hatches, and eggstatic if more hatch successfully.

10. aceoftrumps

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Number 13 just popped out of it's shell. The rest are eating and drinking and look healthy. I have some questions:

I want to post pics of them but can't for the life of me figure out how. And I'm not computer illiterate!

Some of the chicks are going on four days old now and I'm prepared to vaccinate for Marek's. From what I've read, it's supposed to be done when they're one day old. But with the staggered hatching, that's not possible and once mixed, the vaccine is only good for two days. Will it be ok to wait til they're all hatched? I sure am not looking forward to putting a needle in these cuties!

One piece of advice! When you put their waterer in the box for them, put marbles or decorative stones in it to displace the water so they won't drown in it! I learned this the hard way when one of the newbies drowned. I feel really bad about not thinking about it.

Kurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by