1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time Hatching....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Miyashi, May 12, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I've been looking for posts, I can't seem to find any...
    Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?
    I have a broody hen, she's been sitting on her eggs for about 4 days now.
    So I was just wondering, what am I supposed to do as "mother" of this hen?
    She isn't confined. She's with the other birds. I made her a nest of her very own. The other birds aren't interested as they aren't accustomed to it, so they aren't trying to steal it.
    I don't know if I have to move her or what I have to do? Will she protect the chicks?
    My rooster is protective of chicks...will help her?
    I just want to do this right...as right as I can.
    Whatever help I could give her...I'd like to!
    Thanks!

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Well, what I did was let my hen stay in main coop with the others until close to hatch time. Then I moved her and the eggs to a dog crate. She hatched in there. I left her in there probably about a week, then I set the crate in the run with a fenced off and tarped pen for just her and the chicks. The other chickens could see the chicks but not get to them and vice versa. When the chicks were fully feathered, I started leaving the pen open in the day and only closing them in at night. When the mother started leaving her babies in favor of the coop roost, I moved the chicks' crate inside the coop until they eventually got the hang of roosting with the others. It worked out. All the chicks thrived.

Now this spring I have 5 broody hens all working on nests at the same time in the coops where I had to mark the hatching eggs and each day I have to remove a few new eggs left by the non-broody-hens. [​IMG] Some of the chicks I'll grab and sell, but I'm not sure how I'll manage leaving some chicks with mothers yet. [​IMG]

3. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    when I get a broody I move her into a small cage or separate pen from all the others (but I move her at night). Being separate kind of relaxes them and helps them focus more on being a momma to come. Just make sure there is a little water and food close enough for her to get to and if she wants to stretch her legs so to speak. I keep her and the chicks separated from the rest of the flock just to be on the safe side, I don't want any injured or hurt (but that's up to you). She is a protective momma no matter what . Is it her first time being broody? How many eggs?

4. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Thanks for the info!
    Yes, this is her first time.
    She isn't even a year old yet...
    She's a silkie/OEGB.
    She has 12 eggs under her. I was worried about the number, but she seems to be doing great. She's comfortable.
    I marked the eggs on day 2, so the pile doesn't just keep going!
    She moves the eggs around a few times throughout the day. She gets up in the afternoon to get some water/food and to take a quick dust bath.
    Other than that, she's guarding her nest. The other girls started walking towards the door and she went running and flapping back inside. >_<
    My favorite rooster (white d'uccle) has been laying next to her, not in the same box...as much as he wants to...but he keeps close and keeps an eye on things. It's like he's having a sympathy hatch. [​IMG]
    I have a large wooden frame covered in chicken wire that I used when I moved the babies from the garage to the coop. They were safe in their own hut, but the big birds could still see them...so maybe I'll use that toward the end.
    ^_^
    Again, thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it.

5. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Do they stop laying when they go broody?

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Yep! [​IMG] Too busy to lay eggs. 600 rotations for an egg in 24 hours is constant work... (some say this, while others say 120 times [​IMG] )

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:Yep! [​IMG] Too busy to lay eggs. 600 rotations for an egg in 24 hours is constant work... (some say this, while others say 120 times [​IMG] )

Thank you very much for clearing that up! I was unsure! >_<
    I guess I could have googled it, but that's no fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by