First time hatching :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 7, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Hi all, new to the site, so far I have learned so much!!

I am a mom to two girls, 13 and 4, My 4 year old is in pre-k and they are doing chick hatching in class. I asked the teacher about it and she pointed me in the direction of the local co-op extension for incubator rental. I emailed, and got a response yesterday stating they loan the incubators free of charge and she would fit me into the schedule to recieve one. In the mean time, she gave me her contact for the farm where they get their eggs. I will contact the farm as soon as I have a date for the incubator.

I have a very good idea of what I need to do as far as bator temp, humidity, turning, candeling, ect. Are there any tips that you all might have?

I have one question so far...can I use shredded paper in the brooder after the chicks have hatched? I'm pretty sure I will have more questions when I am closer to getting the bator and eggs!

It's nice to meet all of you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Nothing slick. Shredded paper is ok, I use paper towels the first few days then out in the brooder house on pine shavings with a heat lamp.
    With each new batch of chicks I just buy a roll of the cheapest paper towels and roll them, the waste feed and the poo up a couple times a day and compost it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG] You will find answers to any questions you might have on this site! Don't forget to share pictures of your babies when they hatch. We all love to see them. Warning: Hatching chicks is very addictive....build a much bigger coop than you plan on is the biggest piece of advice I can give you :)

4. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Unfortunately, I live in the city and it's against the law here to keep chickens, so I will be returning the chicks to the farm. It this first time goes well, I will do it annually with my children.

5. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    How thick of a layer to put down? I plan to use a large rubber maid container and heat lamp for the brooder.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Of the shredded? Just enough to give them good footing and prevent the container from getting too soiled. I put about 3 layers of paper towels.
    If I have just a few chicks and use a rubbermaid container, I don't use a heat lamp but just a regular 75 watt bulb.
    The heat lamp, especially a 250 watt can cook them.
    I put a heat lamp in the corner of one of those and put a thermometer on the floor before I put the chicks in. It exploded.

7. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I should have been more specific, the lamp I have has a 75 watt bulb in it. Did the container explode because of the 250 watt lamp?

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The thermometer exploded because of the lamp.

9. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    So I would be ok with the 75 watt bulb, correct? When I go get the eggs I'm going to ask them for a thermometer...I'm hoping not to buy one.

10. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    It's official, I pick up the bator and eggs on Monday the 11th and will set on the 12th. I am getting a dozen from a local chick breeder. She is giving me a variety so I'm pretty excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by