First time having a baby chick dying. :(:(:(

cmoore333

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
I bought two chicks from a local feed store, three weeks ago, since they where a bit older I got them to go with my chicks I had gotten the week before that (all where off the inside light) since i brought them home one of the two seemed kind of lethargic(I figured it was the stress of moving and such) last weekthey all seemed board and where starting to pick on each other, so I had been taking them outside everyday, all seemed to improve, but today at 10am when I went out to double check on them I found the smaller of the two died.. The second one seemed to be in distress and after taking her out I see several of her feathers are missing, so the rest must be still picking on the two newer ones.. I'm beating myself up not noticing them picking on them:(

hhmm.. keep her seperated, Good luck!
It's frustrating and sad.

What I have done that worked, was put plenty of feed out for them, spread out in a few dishes so they don't have to compete. (Now this means you would have to stay right there to give a little tap on the head if 1 is aggressive.)

Once they are full,watered, they get sleepy. Pick up and hold the newbies and 1 of the bullies and coax them to relax and start getting sleepy, Snuggle them together in your lap, can also put a cloth over them. This gives them time to see, and identify by smell. Then separate the new ones to sleep together for the night.

Repeat this at each feeding and rest time for about 30 minutes.

Each day, as you can, add another of the 1st group to your lap time sessions with the group. They will struggle and then eventually settle down like they would under normal circumstances. Again, covering them with a dish towel helps to level the playing field.

Trying to find a warm soft spot next to a sibling to sleep, kinda starts that pecking order thing in a subtle way.

Continue to watch, you should be able to get them settled in a few days.
Easier to do now vs when they get older, just keep an eye on them. Once they can get along, then they should be OK to do normal chickie stuff.

If you have 1 who is the agressor, then let it sleep by itself if the others are getting along. It'll soon lose it's authority when introduced back to the group. Alot of work, hope it helps!

I had to put her back with her friends today, she was flying all over the place (well trying) and almost screaming.. Figured she missed her bully friends. All went well today, they spent it outside in the run of the baby coop..brought them inside at eight and they all went in a little chicken pile and are asleep.. My husband thinks they guy at the feed store wasn't honest about how old they where,and it was just to cold for them (today I took them out at eight instead of six and it was nice and warm by then)he also thinks that's why the original four I had was picking on them. I did add another food and water tray today, so maybe tht helped..

I had to put her back with her friends today, she was flying all over the place (well trying) and almost screaming.. Figured she missed her bully friends. All went well today, they spent it outside in the run of the baby coop..brought them inside at eight and they all went in a little chicken pile and are asleep.. My husband thinks they guy at the feed store wasn't honest about how old they where,and it was just to cold for them (today I took them out at eight instead of six and it was nice and warm by then)he also thinks that's why the original four I had was picking on them. I did add another food and water tray today, so maybe tht helped..
Good job! Warmth, food/water and space seem to be the keys. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom