First time having a cocci problem...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharterChick, Aug 30, 2014.

1. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I have the entire flock on corid and I've read lots of great material on how to get it under control. I just wanted to rant about my babies and how stupid cocci is...

Most aren't appearing sick but there are 3 that are fluffed up and won't drink water without some encouragement. So I brought them in and made them drink rotating each one making sure they all get some meds. I was up till 5 am with them. I took a little nap and woke up around 6am and one had died. :( I'm very upset about it! The only good thing is the 2 remaining seem to be doing better. They are drinking often on their own now. I hope no more die from this! As soon as I noticed something was off with the sick ones I did research and got them on meds. I just wasn't quick enough this time for the one this time.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Coccidiosis is the number one killer in chicks and growing birds. There are different strains of it. What I'd do is go to your local feed store and find medicated chick feed. What you need is a coccidiostat to cure it and Amprolium is so far the most popular used one. Cocci is a Protozoa that can affect any species of animal and normally it's species specific. There are at least a hundred diffrent species that effect chickens alone.

3. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Thank you for the info. They have medicated food and corid in the water. I'm just babbling waiting for it to pass. I'm just very sad about the baby. I have mixed chickens and it was one of only 2 with green feet. The other is also sick... But they seem to be getting a little better.

Drinking on its own

[​IMG]

The two sickest are in my house atm the bigger ones were picking On them..,

Snuggles

[​IMG]

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    If you said the other two are doing fine then chances are they will survive. My silkie had Coccidiosis and he's still here for the last 3 to 4 years

5. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Oh good! I've been worried about them... my pullets got the worst of it! [​IMG] out of 15 only 5 were pullets and 3 got sick! The one that died was one of the 3.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by