First time having a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CPW Chicks, Jun 27, 2010.

1. CPW Chicks

CPW Chicks In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    Beaumont, PA
    Hi everybody. We just took in a duck with a fractured leg from the shelter my sister works at. I believe it is a Pekin and probably a 1-1 1/2 months old, don't know if it is a boy or girl. Anyway we have him in a small kiddie pool (empty) in our living room during the day so we can keep an eye on him, and then in a large dog crate at night. We have chickens so it is not our first time with birds, just our first time with a duck. He has been eating and drinking very well. Need to know if anyone knows where I can get a duck diaper at to help keep his cast clean for a few more weeks. Also any tips on raising would be helpful, we plan to keep him as an in house pet. Thanks.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Use some vetrap over the cast. You can change that daily without a problem. Good luck with the recovery.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you are going to keep your rescue as a house duck, check out www.indoorducks.com

Nettie is awesome [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And by the way, good on ya! [​IMG]

5. CPW Chicks

Feb 26, 2010
    Beaumont, PA
    Thank you all for your advice. I have checked out the website and will be purchasing a couple of diaper harnesses. Here is a pic, let me know what breed you think he is so I can order the right type.

[​IMG]

6. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Do you have a bigger picture? His bill does not look as long as my pekins but I can't really tell because the picture is really small.

7. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Songster

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    Nettie at IndoorDucks will accept measurements of your duck so the diaper can be made to the correct size. I can't remember if the drawing with how to do this is on her website; you can send her a message if not. She made a beautiful harness/diaper/leash for my Muscovy. However, if you're bird is only a month and a half, it probably has a little more growing to do. I don't know if it will be enough to make a significant difference on the size you get. Good luck and thanks for taking in the duckie!

8. CPW Chicks

Feb 26, 2010
    Beaumont, PA
    More & Bigger pictures, let me know what you think he is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: