First time having ducks (anything i need to know)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nick10atl, Apr 25, 2009.

1. nick10atl

nick10atl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    I have 2 ducks and this is my first time having these and i was just wonder if there anything i need to know about them like special needs .. feed.. do they need to have water to sit in? i know pretty much nothing so anthing will be greatly appreciated !!
    Thanks alot

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Are they ducks or ducklings? If they are babies they will need starter food.

[​IMG]

3. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    baby ducks .. i guess thats what ducklings means.. but they are about 4 days old.

4. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Heat lamp water and starter food for chicks/ducks not medicated!!! They will eat,drink,poop and make a mess 24/7....Here are my babies 2 weeks old....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Make sure they have lots of water, they waste a lot too. But, they can choke if they have food and no water.

I would keep the water shallow and easy to get out of for young ducklings. When they figure it out it can get deeper.

Starter food, I would wait to add grit or any other food.

congrats!

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    If you want to follow some ducks from day one, go to my website and I've blogged about my ducks from the day I got them. Scroll to the very beginning. They are about 7 weeks old now. Lots of fun! Enjoy your ducks!

7. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay kool thanks for all your help everyone!

8. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I think everyone else pretty much covered what they will need. Starter (grower )feed. Clean bedding, a safe place, a heat light, water (make sure they don't get a chill from being too wet. (the water should be only deep enough so they can still stand up in the water.)

Here are my babies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This website also has good info for you http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by