1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time having my own chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rickie, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Rickie

Rickie New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    This is my first time having my own chickens I got them from someone off the party line witch is a Radio station where I live the guy I got them from said they were road island reds but I believe there mixed with something else because I built my own incubator a have hatched out 11 baby chicks out of 23 and I have some that came out solid black with legs the size of a pencil at two weeks old some yellow with off brown and one that looks like a quail

2. egglover123

egglover123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    Out with the girls!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Rickie welcome to BYC!
    There is a What Breed Or Gender is This? forum on the site you might try your question there.
    Good luck!

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Rickie and welcome to our forum. Theres lots of info in the learning centre - but I'm guessing since you have already build your tractor, you know that already [​IMG] You may find your state thread useful in putting you in contact with other BYC members nearby also. Congrats on the incubator build and your new chicks - i wish i could do DIY, but alas, I'm all fingers and thumbs!

All the best
    CT

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Rickie. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on CTKen; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When you chicks are 6- 8 weeks old you can post photos of them (individual are best) at "what breed or gender is this."

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Rickie

Rickie New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Hay it's me Rickie.Need help I bought me a fully automated incubator yesterday.Can someone tell me how the eggs go in it I believe pointed end down witch puts the air pocket at top just wanted to do it wright my old incubator they layed on there side thanks for any help

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Yes, you are correct. The pointed end should go down, the big end up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by