First time!!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by F50myster, Jan 23, 2011.

1. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Im going to start raising crickets and mealworms for my chickens at the start of february ive been looking at videos on youtube and its seems pretty cool has anyone tried doing this before!?! all info or comments will be helpful thanks...i plan to raise them at the same time but different containers...should it be indoors or outdoor? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  3. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    thank you! [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Just a warning about the crickets, they can get pretty stinky. You can limit problems if you maintain them daily, but even then things can easily go awry. They are a lot of work, but also quite interesting. The rate of population growth for both mealworms and crickets is very temperature dependent. They develop faster with warmer temperatures. So, for most people this means bringing them inside during the winter. I keep my mealworm colony in our laundry room during the winter, which is not as warm as the house, but warmer than outside. During the summer I keep them in the garage, which is typically very hot. I also have a page describing how to grow mealworms: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-how-to-raise-mealworms Good luck!

5. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    thanks gallo del cielo! and yeah i heard on youtube that crickets smell alot! lol im thinking about just trying worms but it would be cool to have crickets also

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I tried crickets first and did not get anywhere. If they bred at all, they were cannibalized before they grew to a size I could see. I then switched to mealworms and find them super easy.

7. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    No bugs for me, and yes I'm sleeping in my chair until the Packers do something to wake me up.[​IMG]

8. chickiedoo

chickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Oh I think I'm going to try raising my own too! The directions seem super duper easy and my chickies LOVE mealworms.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    No experience w/ worms or crickets, but I have a colony of B. dupia roaches I started this winter for the girls. I haven't harvested any yet. I started w/ a small number so I am letting the colony grow and settle first. I plan on harvesting the roaches in the winter for protien for the girls, and maintain a home made bio pod w/ black soldier fly larva in the spring-fall for the girls.

My plan is between the insect (protien) and garden to have almost all the girls food free.

10. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Quote:yo should it looks so easy check out this video [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by