1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time Hen Owner Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KidDynamite, Aug 7, 2011.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    howdy folks - I'm a former city slicker turned Gentleman Farmer. After 9 years in New York City, my wife and I moved to Central New Hampshire and bought an antique farmhouse. We inherited a barn with a nice built-in chicken coop, and this spring we bought 12 laying hens. Our chicks are now 5 1/2 weeks old.

I will post some questions in the other forums and look forward to your sage advice.

Also, I write a blog that covers a lot of subject, but I have a "NH Living" topic which will show my posts about country life, including making maple syrup, my dogs, my garden, and now, my chicks.

http://kiddynamitesworld.com/category/nh-living/

thanks,
    KD

2. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    [​IMG] from yakima, wa

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from the other coast. I also have a kind-of-chicken blog - look forward to reading yours and see what you think about the financial apocalypse...

4. KidDynamite

Aug 7, 2011
    thanks folks - my wife and I have found it amazing how quickly we notice differences in personalities between the breeds.

does anyone else notice this? in our flock:

the barred rocks are like velociraptors - the most aggressive, first one out the door, first one to explore every time
    the buff orpingtons are next, but much more timid than the BRs
    the NH Reds are timid and seem to be last in line
    the Aracauna's are like supermodels: beautiful but seemingly severly lacking in brainpower (no offense to supermodels out there)

oh - I have 3 BR, 3 BO, 3Aracauna, and 3 NH Reds. all female.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    glad you joined
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    welcome! i'm your neighbor here in southern nh!!! [​IMG] do you have pure araucanas? if you do i'm jealous [​IMG]
    btw, they are called new hampshires. many people make the mistake of calling them nh reds because they think of them as a variant of the rhode island red, but the breed is recognized as simply new hampshires [​IMG] it's not a big deal, really, its a very common mistake [​IMG]

8. KidDynamite

Aug 7, 2011
    TinyChicky - I can only tell you what the form from the local feed store where we ordered the chicks from said. "Araucana" and "NH Red." Thanks for the correction in the NH Red name (but don't be offended if I continue to call them NH reds!)

Does that mean that I have pure Araucanas? they are the best looking birds in the flock, by far (but man, they do seem dumb). There is a picture of one of the Araucanas here: http://kiddynamitesworld.com/mo-country-mo-problems/

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! It's very nice to meet you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by