First time Hen sitting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rach4, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Hi guys try to keep this simple,

I have two bantams, and our little hen has been sitting now for 10days. I don't know if they will hatch etc, but if they do, HELP! I don't know what to do next. Do I need to separate the rooster from chicks? Do I need to do anything for chicks considering mum is around? If anyone could help so much appreciated especially on the extremely important parts. They are free rangers go and come as they please with a 2mtre by 3mtre coop at night, oh we have 4eggs, is this big enough space for them all?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your tiny flock reminds me of the two bantams I had decades ago, Leonard and Louise.

They free-ranged also. I had a coop but they never used it, preferring to roost in the hedge outside my bedroom window.

Louise disappeared for several weeks, not easy to do in a suburban back yard, and she returned with eleven chicks. I never did a thing. The rooster helped care for the brood, and they thrived. Half turned out to be cockerels and they were fond of practicing their crowing at 3 am while I was trying to sleep.

So, no, you need not do anything. Your pair has it well covered.

3. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    ahh thank you so very much, I started to panic slightly, I love me babies Bubba and Dook. And I really would love for Dookie to be "mum" as she is working hard at keeping her little eggs warm, so for her sake I hope at least one hatches. Again Thank you for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by