First time homesteading

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Okra, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Okra

Okra New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My family is going to be moving to a few acres soon and we have decided we will have a small backyard homestead. We are adopting chickens, goats, and possibly alpaca later on. Only two of us have ever lived in the country and cared for any of these animals. Does anybody have any tips and any idea what the yearly cost would be for chickens and goats would be? Also an idea of how many and what age to adopt would be very helpful! Also non-expensive chicken coops and barn ideas for the goats would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Hannah H.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Okra [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, living smack bang in the middle of suburbia, I have no homesteading experience whatsoever. However, some of our regular greeters who should be along shortly may be able to assist or you might like to try posting on the Self Sufficiency Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16177/diy-self-sufficiency or
    Other Pets & Livestock Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Hannah and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and exciting times ahead, I'm sure.

Its very difficult to try and answer your question relating to the cost of keeping chickens, as it would largely depend on your management approach. I seem to recall there being an article in the learning centre regarding the cost of keeping chickens - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Check out the coops section for build ideas.

As for the best age to adopt chickens - I would suggest buying point of lay pullets from a reputable source. Adopting birds could cause issues, as you will likely not know the age, history, or possible health issues of those birds. Buying point of lay pullets should give you a good egg supply within a couple of months - always helps with the feed costs.

The links given by Teila will no doubt be more helpful - I'm simply sharing my thoughts.

Good luck
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, okra, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've already received a lot of great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some good links to check out so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by