1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time humidity questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woolymammoth, Dec 28, 2014.

1. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    I've got my temperature set(took 3 different thermometers). I got 2 hygrometers(made sure they were right, incubator reads about 10 percent lower than both of these), one for inside incubator and one for the room which is in the basement. Humidity in the basement is 48%. Should I just not use any water in the tray and just let the relative humidity of the room work. I switched to tray #2 because my humidity was around 61% on tray 1 on the hova bator genesis 1588. Humidity hasn't leveled out yet. Sorry for my ocd but I am adamant about my hobbies

2. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    To add to it I'm on day 8 and realized my incubator has been about 101.1 degrees and 62% humidity. Candeled yesterday and have 38 out of 41 that are viable for sure. Will this cause any problems later on in the incubation process

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you have a still air or forced air incubator? Forced should be at 99.5 degrees give or take a half degree, and still should be 101-102 degrees, preferrably closer to the 102.
    I did the dry hatch method this last time (prefer it) and didn't add any water to the bator the first 17 days (providing it stays above 20%) and then upped it to 70-75% on lockdown through hatch.
    If you have forced and it's been running a little high at 101, you may see some early hatchers. 101 is not extremely high it should not compromise the entire hatch but you will want to get it as close to the 99.5 average as possible. The humidity will not compromise it either at this point. The imprtant thing is to candle and check the air cells to make sure they are growing at the right rate and adjust the humidity accordingly.
    Personally I would go with the dry method, but now that I've tried it I'm kinda biased toward that method because it worked so well for me. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by