first time in the yard???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crimsontide, Jul 21, 2010.

1. crimsontide

crimsontide In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    se MI
    how old should my oegb's be before i let them out in tha grass. supervised and pinned in ,of course.

2. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Well im not entirely sure but, mine are about 3 weeks old and i took them outside yesterday for the first time. I had to move their cage into the shade because they were panting heavily. You just want to watch for that. It is the funniest thing the first time you put them outside! They just stand there in one spot in awe of this huge world around them lol! Also make sure they have plenty of water if it is hot. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    My chicks are 5 weeks old and just went out in the yard last night (see post about Chickaboos), but only because the run wasn't finished until yesterday. I think I would have started letting them out at about a week for at least a little while if I had had the facilities to do it.

4. crimsontide

May 22, 2010
    se MI
    thanks for the replys i just dont know if tha wind will effect them because a chill is not good.

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put mine out at 9 days old, but I live in the south. Just make sure they don't get cold....

6. gutfiddle

gutfiddle In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    Quote:+1, mine are 10 days old and yesterday was their first adventure in the grass and they loved it, was entertaining watching them hop around eating the grass and bugs, today they are in a temporary pen on the ground and i'll let them out to freerange when i get home. They did fine w/out any additional heat source last night also.

7. crimsontide

May 22, 2010
    se MI
    ty guys i just let them out on the third week exactly had fun watching them with my boys we all kept sayin this is the life...lol tha simple things !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: