first time incubating and a few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by homemakerjulie, May 16, 2011.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I put the eggs in last night at 10 pm, so would that make yesterday day 1 or today? Mostly I just want to make sure I lock it down on the correct day. If I count yesterday as day one June 1st is lock down with hatching on the 4th, I also thought since it was so late, I'd just use today as day one, lockdown on June 2nd, then hopeful hatch on the 5th.

Also, candling, what day is that? I have seen a few different days, and I know some do it more often, what is the average? I don't want to over think this (something I am prone to do!) but want to get the basics down so that I don't mess up the hatch.

Julie

2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Today would be day one.

I usually candle mine at about 1 week (leave the ones that don't look developed, they may just be slow) and then a day or so before lockdown (at this point throw away the ones that aren't developed).

Hope this helps!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check my post in this thread for how to count the days. If you started them on Sunday the 15th of May, they should hatch on Sunday, June 5th, but read all my posy about that. Lockdown should be Thursday, June 2nd.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=319371

As far as candling, there are no set rules. The brown eggs can be difficult. I usually wait until Day 7 for the first time and mark which ones I see as developing or clear. Then I candle again on day 14 before I toss any. In my last hatch, I marked one as clear on day 7. It showed good development on Day 14 and was the first to hatch. It was not all that dark brown either. That tells you how good I am at candling. Many people do it differently. Some hatches, I don't even bother with candling, but it is exciting to look.

4. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by