first time incubating and lockdown tomorrow.

shay87

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
rockwood, tennessee
Temp has been right on 99 and humidity is at 71 right now...I'm going to candle again tonight and see how they look. I am using a Styrofoam incubator borrowed from a neighbor I have no idea what which brand it is but it's been working well from what I can tell. Is the humidity too high? Should I try to lower it and what do I need to do next? I also have another issue I have 4 bantam eggs along with about 20 regular chicken eggs...was told the bantam eggs tend to hatch earlier than the other eggs,if that's true am I supposed to leave them in the incubator until the others hatch or take them out after they dry off and fluff out? How long do you wait for them to hatch before you know something is wrong? How long do you let the chick pip and try to get out of the shell before you help it? So many questions unanswered lol any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

I have had eggs hatch from day 18 to day 24. Chicks can stay in incubators for 24 hours or more but it is fine to remove them. I do this once a day.Funny as all get out to watch them run into hatching eggs and roll them over. But you kind of feel sorry for the chicks in the egg, you can hear this peep that must be a what the heck is going on now sound.

Thank you, I have mine sitting in egg carton...hopefully to keep them from rolling around. I hope it's not bad! I've read a little about doing that and it seemed to make sense. I'll keep a close eye on them and watch for any that may be upside down or not coming through the top.

egg cartons are ok but the chick rolls to get in the right position to hatch. it will work for chicks hatched in the bator rolling them around though. but i would just take the chicks out and put them in brooder once they dry.

Heading into day 21, nothing yet but temp has stayed at 99 and humidity is still at 71...I feel like it should be higher but wanted to ask first...anything else I should be doing?

Thankyou and good luck with yours...do you know anything about after the pip...something happened with the humidity and they were all shrink wrapped..i had to help them all so they wouldn't suffocate...ive got 22 or 23 no bleeding thank god and they have all made it ive been very very careful with them..how long till they should finish hatching??? anything you know will be helpful..i feel lost right now!!!

Back
Top Bottom