First time incubating Chicks, weird air sacks on both sides/empty Space.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Marynnaaa, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Marynnaaa

Marynnaaa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2017
    Sacramento
    So I made a homemade incubator that is working fine and I'm monitoring humidity and temp on 2 different gadgets. I originally bought 4 eggs but now only 2 are developing as I discarded the bad ones that started leaking. This is the Eighth Day these two eggs are developing and they're moving around and seem to be developing fine, but when I candle them one of the eggs seems to be developing on the side of the egg and on the other side is just an empty space but on the bottom there seems to be an intact air sac that is not connected to the other empty space if that makes sense I'll try to post a picture. In the other egg the air sac is kind of drooped down but not a lot and it's not moving so I'm not that concerned about it but what I'm concerned about is when I candled on both sides it's what looks to be two air sacks on both sides that both are intact so I'm confused on what that means since both of the eggs have empty space in them but they seem to be developing okay. They are in a carton right now upside down and I am tilting them from side to side and also rotating them. The temperature that I have ranges from 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 102. But my humidity ranges from 40 percent to 58%.

Attached Files:

2. Marynnaaa

Nov 26, 2017
    Sacramento
    The pictures don't really show but the empty space is as see through as the air sack itself and I researched and couldn't really find anything exactly like this. By the way, they are silkie eggs.

3. Tavia Rose

Tavia Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    Do you see veins? Usually, if it seemed empty on one side the embryo may be stuck on the other side just make sure you're turning them. I learned the hard way.

4. Marynnaaa

Nov 26, 2017
    Sacramento
    Yea I'm turning them over 5 times a day, except for night (about 8 hours not turning). Yes there are a lit of veins and I can see the babies moving inside.

5. Tavia Rose

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    You should be good then. Some eggs have weird looks going on until the last week. If you see that at lockdown still just keep an eye on it while it hatches. It could need your help. And take it from me, don't help until the 21 days has past. I helped one too early recently and had all kinds of problems. But it survived.

Marynnaaa likes this.
  6. Marynnaaa

Nov 26, 2017
    Sacramento
    Ok thanks, and did you see the attached pictures in this thread I added.

7. Tavia Rose

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, it looks normal to me. The reason I asked if you saw veins and movement was bc i saw how dark the embryo was in one pic and sometimes that darkness means death if there are no veins. But, looks like normal development. I think the empty space may be what's called the albumen.

8. Marynnaaa

Nov 26, 2017
    Sacramento
    Ok thanks again!

Tavia Rose likes this.
  9. Tavia Rose

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    No problem. Happy hatching! Don't stress it..just keep temp nd humidity right and turn and they will do the rest.

10. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Make sure you are turning an odd number of times each day or the eggs will be on the same side every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by