1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first time incubating day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chkn lady, Feb 10, 2013.

1. crazy chkn lady

crazy chkn lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    So excited, its my first time incubating and this morning one of my eggs has pipped and I can hear cheeping
    [​IMG]

2. MereBear

MereBear Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Ooooo that's amazing!! What kind of incubator are you using? I'm thinking of getting one if our hens don't go broody this spring. Please keep us up to date with pictures, and good luck!!

-Meredith

3. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    It's a homemade one I made from a styrofoam cooler, I wouldn't have done it but my rooster died and I relly wanted to hatch some of his chicks and didnt want to wait on an order for a real incubator.. I started with 8 eggs, 2 were not fertile then I lost one on about day 4 then 2 on day 8 after a temp spike. I wouldn't hatch them again in this incubator, had alot of problems keeping the temp just right.

I'm so excited that the 3 left are all wiggling and the one has pipped and 2 of them are peeping[​IMG]I really hope they all make it.

4. Adam7

Adam7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Congrats on your pip! I have a homemade bator and it holds temps great. Maybe next time try a plastic cooler(mine is igloo brand). Any way, good luck on your hatch!

5. MereBear

MereBear Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    I had no idea you could make a home made incubator. Do you use a brooder lamp to heat it? I can't wait to see those babies!!

6. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First baby hatched about an hour ago :)

7. uncleden

uncleden New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    I have an old incubator that looks like it was made in the 1920's. It is electric. I used it in the spring of 2011. It worked OK because the chicks hatched. Out of 14 eggs I only got 2 chicks but I believe that was because the eggs were probably mishandled and improperly stored before I got them. This year I am hoping the fat old Cochin hen I have will decide to get broody. She hasn't layed an egg since August. Up till then she was laying just a couple a week and then something killed her buddy (I just had two hens) and she stopped completely. I think she was pretty old already when I got her, but I thought a hen would occasionally still lay an egg now and then as long as they live. I just got another hen that is a young buff orpington and she has layed 6 eggs in the last 7 days. Does anyone know? Will the old Cochin hen ever get broody even if she has stopped laying. Is there something I should do to encourage broodiness? She has until memorial day to show some interest in the idea. If not by then she goes in the soup pot!

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awwwww CONGRATS!!

9. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks, second egg has pipped now :)

10. Adam7