First time incubating eggs tip please so I get good results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanting, Feb 20, 2011.

1. wanting

wanting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    wilmington de
    I pre order some eggs wat can I do to keep them fresh and fertile?
    One person told me that when I get them I should put them in a cartoon pointy end down is that true?
    Wat is the humidity and temperature ooo there chicken eggs?
    Please any tips will be help me !
    How can I tell if there fertile and fresh before incubating them?

2. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Yes put them pointy end down. You cannot tell if they are fertile until day 2-3 or even 4 after starting incubation. Proper temp. in a "STILL or THERMAL AIR" bator is about 101 F and in a "CIRCULATED AIR" Bator-it will have a fan-is 99.5. The best suggestion on humidity is to read your instruction for what t hey say and in regards to temp. I have kept my humidity about 35-45% for the 1st 18 days and now it's at 65-70% as I am in lockdown. Search BYC and you will find many answers and tips.

3. wanting

Jun 17, 2010
    wilmington de
    Thanks for the tips

4. wanting

Jun 17, 2010
    wilmington de
    Quote:Do I keep them at room temperature or is there a specific temperature to let them rest when there ship to me when I put the pointy down

5. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    yeah keep them at room temp, and you can let them settle for as long as you can wait up to 24 hours. I let mine sit for 12 but this is my 1st time hatching too, they need to settle for the sake of the air sac getting to it's proper space.

6. wanting

Jun 17, 2010
    wilmington de
    Thank you again anymore tips will help

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I only have one tip to share, something I learned the hard way.

The reason they call the last three days "lockdown" is that they are LOCKED DOWN. Don't open the door! I killed about 6 chicks our first hatch by opening the door during lockdown to "check on things, just in case". What happens is when you open the door of the incubator, the humidity and temperature suddenly plummet, and it causes the membrane inside the eggshell that surrounds the chick to become dry and "shrink-wrap" the chick, making it impossible for them to hatch.

Be patient. It's only 21 days. [​IMG]

That's my best advice.

8. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    Also, newly hatched babies can remain in the bator for 48 hours without food and water. Let them stay in there and give the unhatched eggs some time to hatch. The babies absorb the yolk and that will give them the nutrients they need for that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by