first time incubating, first set of eggs went in about an hour ago

melissaowens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
andalusia alabama
okay, so i just put eggs in the incubator about an hour ago, this is my very first time doing this. i did let it get regulated to around 99 - 100 and it is staying in that temperature, so i added the eggs. can anyone give me some pointers. its a small still air incubator with a turner.

one question i have is.....do i leave the egg turner plugged up and running the whole 21 days?

please help me through this i really want this to work out.

i have 27 eggs in it.

If its a still-air, you should up the temp to probably 101 or so(some say 102, but if your thermometer is reading low, you'll be safer at 101). After 18 days remove the turner, raise the humidity to 70%+/- and keep bator closed until all eggs hatch and chicks are well dried off. Good luck w/your hatch!

The best way to decide on what humidity you need is to weigh the eggs today. Then figure that they need to loose 11 - 14 in the next 18 days. You will need a jewelry scales or something that weighs in grams. the weigh your eggs in about 5 - 6 days and figure you want to loose. .7% per day so at day 5 you want the egg to weigh about 3.5% less. if it weighs more, decrease humidity ... if it weighs less, increase humidity.

If you can't do all that... walmart has inexpensive thermometer/hygrometers that are fairly accurate.

There are many threads and ideas about what percent to run your humidity at for 1-18 days... and then what to increase to the last 3 days.

Good luck to you.!!

Quote:
Hey , I'm right there with you. Mine went in at 9:30 pm. this is also my first time. I have a homemade bator w/fan and a hand turner. I am new at this chicken thing altogether. All I know is what I have been reading on here everyday for the past month or so.So I am sure I will be of no help to you. But maybe we can share some of the stress & anxiety this is bound to cause.
lau.gif
I will be reading your posts as I see them, just incase we encounter some of the same things that are sure to come about. Good Luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & your chicks!

Tammy

I started on Sat night, Im so new and Ive read and read and read and Im sure Im still not doing it right.
I have one batch that is supose to hatch on Fri(long story Im sure they wont) but the other eggs Ihope will

everything seem to be going fine this mornin, everything is where it needs to be and egg turner is working, all my baby chicks i bought and was given are doing great, big chickens are doing good this morning OH YEAH! i have a hen that has six eggs under her she is sitting on, and she is the one i just bought.

i hope we all have good luck with our hatches!

Last edited:
My first time too, and mine will be going in tomorrow! I've been reading like a made fool on here too.
smile.png

Good luck to all of us!
fl.gif

Many people don't candle until about day 10 - 12. Can't see much until then.

I know I've seen really good pics of candling and the egg development day 1 - 21 on the internet. really interesting.

good luck with your fuzzy butts!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey , I'm right there with you. Mine went in at 9:30 pm. this is also my first time. I have a homemade bator w/fan and a hand turner. I am new at this chicken thing altogether. All I know is what I have been reading on here everyday for the past month or so.So I am sure I will be of no help to you. But maybe we can share some of the stress & anxiety this is bound to cause.
lau.gif
I will be reading your posts as I see them, just incase we encounter some of the same things that are sure to come about. Good Luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & your chicks!

Tammy

I'm with the two of you! Just put mine in tonight about 8:30 and I am totally new to this. Mine is a still air incubator as well, but I have to turn my eggs by hand. My questions are: How is the best way to create humidity in this incubator, and how often should I turn the eggs. Keep your fingers crossed and I will cross mine for you!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom