First time incubating for rookie chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cglgolf, Dec 1, 2014.

1. cglgolf

cglgolf New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    We have 18 Rhodebar eggs we ordered off Ebay in the incubator for our first attempt at hatching eggs. Day 11 it appears that we have 10 to 12 that look like they are good so far. After candling them last night it appears that we have 6 to 7 that are just clear with nothing in them. I am scared to throw them out, is this normal? Oh well the kids are excited with the possibility off hatching some eggs on Dec. 11.

Brooding ideas are welcome, again I am a rookie chicken man so I do not have a clue what to do next.

Chris

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Go to the learning center tab and then visit hatching and raising chicks.

Leave all the chicks in the incubator until all are done hatching. Opening the incubator will cause humidity loss and the remaining chicks will get stuck in their shells.

Brood the chicks in the largest space you can. Just as though they were with a mother hen, they need a hot spot and plenty of cool space. I start them off on paper towels for good footing. Sprinkle some food on the floor till they know what food is. They'll eat whatever is at their feet. Put a chick feeder in with them too. After a couple days, you can switch from paper towels to pine shavings for bedding.
    Keep the bedding bone dry.
    Elevate the food and water so the rim is about back high. Continue to elevate as they grow. They'll scratch bedding so elevating containers will help keep them cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't spend that much time under after the first week so they don't need nor should have the whole space to be hot.
    [​IMG]

I like this type of reel top feeder for a few chicks so they can't stand on it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. cglgolf

cglgolf New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    Awesome information, thank you so much.

My kids which are 5, 3, and 1 are absolutely loving the chickens we bought. We have 2 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Barred Rock Hens, 2 American Hens, and 2 Barred Rock Roosters. They all just started laying so we decided what the heck let's see if we can hatch some eggs so we ordered some to try.

I appreciate the information.

Chris

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could Join the flock!! Great advice there for you from ChickenCanoe on brooding your chicks. As to your clear eggs if you are unsure leave them in the incubator. Just keep checking for bad smells coming from your bator incase any of them are going bad. I don't throw any away untill day 14 of incubation. This is just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to crack open an egg and find a healthy chick in there. It can and does happen. I start my chicks off in a guinea pig cage in the house it has good ventilation but no drafts and I can keep an eye on them too.
    [​IMG]

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you have a great hatch :frow

5. cglgolf

cglgolf New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. cglgolf

cglgolf New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    So far we have 5 of our Rhodebar chick's hatch. We have 7 more that still haven't pipped but we are hoping we can get a few more.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congratulations :celebrate
    They look lovely cute little fuzzies. Hope you have some more soon.

8. cglgolf

cglgolf New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    We are hoping no activity yet on the other 6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by