FIRST TIME INCUBATING HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SanAntoneChicken, Feb 16, 2012.

1. SanAntoneChicken

SanAntoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I am getting ready to set my first batch of eggs in the incubator and have a question. Most of the eggs I am collecting have a little bit of poop on them, not much, will this cause a problem? I have noticed when one of my hens went broody that some of the eggs were dirty and I still had most of my eggs hatch.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    If you had an egg brush, it is a good idea to brush the poop off the eggs just to prevent any contamination. IMO, you do not want to wash the eggs with water.

3. SanAntoneChicken

SanAntoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Well I think it is just dirt. My eggs that are most affected are the eggs from my easter egger, she is 1/4 cochin and has some feathers on her feet. It has been raining quite a bit and I think that it is just mud off her feet feathers on the eggs.

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    i have heard that you could wash them with warm water but never have done that myself. You would want to use the cleanest eggs you can, if you have some burlap or a rough piece of cloth (wool ect...) use that to gently swipe off large pieces of poo and dirt. Mother nature has provided the eggs with a protective coating to help prevent contamination of the embryo inside within reason if it is excessively covered in whatever i would not use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by