First time Incubating Hen egg.....friendly advice needed and welcome

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cafedeparis, Dec 28, 2012.

1. cafedeparis

cafedeparis Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    Hey there all.
    So I have a fertile Egg from one of my 6 beautiful Sussex Lights, Who laid the egg is any-ones guess, But I checked it under the light and it looks to be good.
    I have a basic still air incubator that uses a bulb and a little water very basic.
    I have the temp at 39 - 40 celcuis
    Egg has been marked with an X & 0
    I have read that it takes 21 days turning egg odd numbers 3 times a day but not the last 3 days.
    To check the egg after 7 days under a candle again to see progress..
    Am i doing the right stuff?
    I would like more information on checking if its fertile and temps ect..anything you think i need to know would be great!..
    We could make it a sort of follow thread ill load pics each day and we can all see what happens together.
    I need all of you chicken experts to give me a hand...
    From a little place in france.
    hugs
    xx

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    It sounds like you have things right. I would suggest that you add a few more eggs to your bator. A single chick will be lonely. There are always some eggs that don't hatch so add a few for duds.

You can start candling the eggs at about 5 days to see which ones are developing.

Good luck.

3. cafedeparis

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    Hello thankyou so much!
    Its winter here and my hens are on a go slow on laying i did have two but..I was sat on the floor with them checking them with a light and my dog.......Kipper came up and stole one of them, by the time i got the egg back he had cracked it!
    Well I hope this little egg will hatch its my first go at it, Ill check the nest boxes again too see if i have more eggs to add to bator.
    What should the candle look like on egg at 5 days?..Its all a bit confusing

4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

Are you only setting one egg? Your temperature is a bit too high. Aim for 37.7* (99*F) or as close to as possible. Have you got a hygrometer in there? What is your humidity? I think you come over and join us here:

Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs

You'll get loads of friendly advice and hatching buddies [​IMG] It started with a shipped egg hatch (hence the title), but it's turned into quite a hatching thread now!

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Hi there. sounds like your doing pretty good . if its still air 101 is a good temp but being a tad low is better then to high usually I dont know how to convert C to F though. You can see viens in there when you candle but my rule of thumb is if it dosnt stink and its not completly clear I give it a go. Try to get another one or two eggs if you can even if they hatch a day or so after the other egg so the chick will hve company . Keep an eye on the temp . Good luck [​IMG]

7. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Yep everything sounds fine. Keep temp at from 99.5 and no more than 102. Humidity should be between 30% and 50% day 1-18 then on the last 3 days jack the humidity up to like around 80%. Dont open the incubator the last 3 days unless you have to for putting more water in but do it quick so you dont loose the humidity you have in there already. Just remember to keep an eye on the temp/humidity and turn eggs. Thats pretty much it.

8. cafedeparis

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    Hey guys I have another 3 eggs in with the first so Fingers crossed it will work.I suppose its all about trying diffrent things to see what works best!
    I will keep posting and im going to candle the first egg in 3 days to see the progress..
    Its all so new and exiting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by