First-time incubating! Janoel 12 & Black Copper Maran - Will update!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MisfitMarie, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I have been extremely curious about the process of incubation and wanted to try it for myself. I have chosen the Janoel 12 incubator, bought off of Ebay. Assembly was straightforward, and I ran it for two days before adding the eggs. I also inserted an additional temperature/humidity monitor inside for two reasons: 1. The Janoel 12 does not include a humidity monitor and 2. I wanted a second temperature reading to compare.

The eggs were shipped to me and sat pointy-side down for 24 hours, at room temperature, until today... And today, I placed them into the incubator! I marked each side with an X and the other with an O, just to be sure that the egg turner works and also for own reference (as I will also be trying to turn them by hand as well).

Temperature is at 99.5 degrees. Incubator includes a fan and air vent.

Humidity is at 45%.

I am extremely nervous and excited. I purposely placed the incubator in a quiet room that's a bit out of the way so that I *hopefully* won't continue to obsessively check it.

One concern that I already have is the darkness of the eggs when I candle. As a first-timer, I really want to make sure I understand what I am seeing and do it correctly. Is there a trick to candling black copper maran eggs? Or even hatching them? Any tips, tricks, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Good luck with your first incubation :fl

Maran eggs are known for being difficult to candle so my tip would be that you get a good LED light or candler. Candle when the room is very dark and also that your light has a very good seal on the egg so light cannot escape and only goes into the egg.

I'm sure you will obsessively check the incubator even though it's in a quiet room it's part of the excitement of incubating. Also it becomes quite addictive, it's such an amazing thing to watch taking place :frow

3. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks! I bought an egg candler that seems to work well. I tried it with all of the lights turned off. I could vaguely see a dark half and a light half inside the egg. There was one of them, in particular, that seemed to have a small, dark, floating mass inside... that would float to one side or the other, depending on which side was angled up... I'm not sure what that was all about, because I couldn't spot anything like that in any of the other eggs.

But thanks for the advice... turning off all the lights really helps!!!

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The small, dark, floating mass sounds like you were getting a good look at the little embryo in there. A lot of times they hide and you can't see them really well. But now and then you'll get ones that are really very visible. I love seeing them. [​IMG]

5. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    WOW... That would be really cool if that's what it was. My only concern is that I noticed it BEFORE I placed the eggs into the incubator. I know there's not really a point to candling BEFORE you incubate the eggs, I guess I was just curious as to how much light could penetrate the shell... but I did notice a small little mass in one of them. Could it be possible that one started to develop before being shipped? And if so, how much would the two-day transit to my house effect it in extreme cold? =(

6. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Oooooh. I didn't realize that you saw it before incubation. Hmmm. It shouldn't be an embryo then. If it developed some before being shipped I'm sure it wouldn't have survived the trip. I have no idea what it might be, in that case. [​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  8. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    THANK YOU! I'm going to check it out right now! The dark mass was very small, and very distinct as far as edges and such... probably the size of a pea, but more ovular. It was a very curious thing... In any case, if I get half to hatch on my first try... I will consider myself very lucky. I'm going to do my very best.

9. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Oh, I meant to say before, but I forgot. [​IMG] There actually is a good reason to candle your eggs BEFORE setting them, especially shipped eggs. It is a good idea to check for porosity, hairline cracks, and for the state of the air cell in shipped eggs. Just sayin... [​IMG]

10. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Good to know! I'll do that from now on... I went to candle them today...didn't see anything knew... But it's only day 2. Hehehe. Here's hoping Day 7 or 8 candling will be MAGICAL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by