First time incubating Marans and Olive Eggers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by manukannijoy, Aug 24, 2016.

1. manukannijoy

manukannijoy Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    Melbourne, FL
    I am excited to receive our first hatching eggs in the mail this week! We have a Hovo Bator that we borrowed from a friend. I have read and watched You Tube videos on how to ensure maximum hatch rates. If you can share your personal experiences I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Marans and EE eggs are very hard to candle.
    I raise Penedesencas whose eggs are hard to see into.
    I prefer to weigh eggs to get the correct amount of weight loss rather than struggling with candling.
    An egg should lose 0.065% of its weight per day. If it loses more than that, humidity is too low. If it loses less, the humidity is too high.

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Chicken Canoe is right in that you need to monitor your eggs! I like candling, and have a pretty strong LED light where I can see into most eggs. The ones I can't, I just go by the others in the bator that I can see into.

That said, shipped eggs are always a gamble and can often have unseen damage that lowers your success rate. I know some people have had good hatches, many have had poor hatches, and I can't tell you how many people have only ended up with one or two chicks out of 2 dozen set. Distance, heat, altitude change, shaking, dropping, etc can all do a number on eggs.

Dark eggs are less permeable due to the dark coating, so starting at a lower humidity can often help.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by