First time incubating-need advice pretty please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rasheika, Feb 24, 2017.

1. rasheika

rasheika Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Hello there, first of all let me apologize in advance. Ive been trying-and I think I'm missing something. I've been trying to read and educate myself as much as possible before we set our eggs. I've been playing with our Ovation 28 Brinsea incubator for a couple days trying to get the humidity level 45% as instructed in the book before we put eggs in. I have used the factory settings, and the humidity still keeps saying it's at 65%. What I don't understand is on the settings through the menu and the manual it says that the humidity should be set at 20%, but the way I understand it the humidity should be 45%, so do I need to go in there and change it? I realize it's a British product, but the humidity percent should be the same figure either way. All of the factory settings are regulating normal and it seems to be working just fine except for the fact that the humidity is 65%. I did have water in there, about 1/2 a cup, and I took a lot of it out this morning. The vent is open all the way.
    Help!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not sure which model of the Ovation you have. I would remove all the water and dry it out, change the RH settings accordingly and see what readings you get. If its the model with a water reservoir, then it will automatically control humidity, if not then you may need to play around a little with adding water, I'd assume.

Since this is a new model, I'd send a mail to Brinsea - they are usually very helpful.

3. rasheika

rasheika Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    I wish there was a way to post a photo-so I can show you what I mean from the manual.

4. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Go to Sally's incubating with friends thread and ask away. Lots of help there.
    @BantyChookscan you link?

5. rasheika

rasheika Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    that would be great-can you give me the link how to post? I think I found it, but it looked like a lot of introduction posts, wasn't sure if I was supposed to post there.
    thanks!!

6. rasheika

rasheika Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Been playing around with it, but I need to get these eggs in. Is it ok to open incubator to add water during incubation if humidity is low?
    Thank you!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-w-sally-sunshine-hosts-bantychooks-and-more

And yes, its fine to open the incubator to add water during incubation. A mother hen will leave her eggs for a short period of time on almost a daily basis, so there's nothing to worry about. In fact, some Brinsea models include a feature to simulate this. Opening the incubator during lockdown is less desirable, but sometimes necessary.

8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Apologies for not getting here in time- Email is giving me fits about showing when I've been tagged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by