first time incubating need ASAP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AWlowry, Jan 28, 2013.

1. AWlowry

AWlowry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    One of our eggs pipped @ 9:30 pm on Saturday(it's now Monday) it has made very little progress. It did make an air hole and it sticks its beak out and cheeps. My husband and I zipped the egg ourselves last night and put it back and it STILL hasnt hatched. theres a good bit of movement and it does make noise. HELP!!! Any and all advice is appreciated

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    You have to get him out now.The membrane has probably shrink wrapped him in why hecant get out now just go slowly any blood stopyou cant start with more shell but may most likely have to slowly peel offf the membrane until hes out.3 days i think he's
    ready. dampen it with watet on your finger b/c you dont want to tear his fuzz off if its stuck to the membrane.Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. AWlowry

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    The little guy/gal just hatched!!!! It's a very large chick. It's making lots of noise and I think it's going to be okay.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good Job! Congrats!!

6. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!

7. AWlowry

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    Sadly the little guy didn't make it through the day. I'm heartbroken. I still have three eggs (it's day 23) and I can hear cheeping. What's the lastest you guys have had an egg hatch? Do the other eggs stand a chance?

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    You need to move on to the assisted guide ASAP!! you may be able to save them, but NEVER RUSH!!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    its a slow process.... CANDLE TAP is first step ALWAYS and then follow the steps ..... NEVER pull a chick from an egg, your only really touching the top "air cell" portion of the egg the ENTIRE TIME!

9. AWlowry

Sep 21, 2012
    Ooltewah, TN
    Just an update two of the other eggs were no longer viable. One looked as though it had a deformed air cell. The other egg piped yesterday and has just begun zipping. It seems to be doing fine on its own for now. Here's hoping I get at least one chick from this hatch.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What were temps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by