First Time Incubating. *Pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Colourful, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    Hello! A few months ago, I decided to buy some Isa Browns, for the eggs. We got a lovely rooster to protect them when they were outside and free-range. Then lock them up at night. Their enclosed Run is quite large anyway, but fresh grass is good for them and it makes them so happy to peck among it. The lot are very docile and easy to care for but they were bought from a place that de-beaked them and probably have sisters in tiny cages being fed on a conveyor belt right this moment. [​IMG] Sad thought. I bought some young Guinea fowl, who have fit right in, and there seems to be no problems at the moment. Which is where I get the the main story. I wanted more chickens, but this time ones that were hand-raised and raised right. So, I bought an incubator. A friend and I both wanted chicks, so I'll pop some in my brooders and he'll pop some under a couple of his broody hens.

I went to a breeder and bought some pure-bred eggs in person, left them to sit for a day (to make sure they didn't get to jumbled in the trip home). They went in on Saturday, February 2nd. And here they are;
    [​IMG]

I have 14 Australorp, 6 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 4 Welsummers, 1 Light Sussex and 8 Golden Sebright eggs. I've researched a lot, and understand that the Sebrights will be a bit more difficult. Plus to that the fact that some of the eggs were a bit smaller than the others leads me to believe they came from a hen's very first season. [​IMG] I'm hoping for two Sebright hens, but I know I'll love any I get. They are a harder to raise breed, I've been told, but I have the space, time and patience so I think I'll be fine. I have two separate brooders in case some of the chicks don't get along, one larger than the other and both outside. I'm going to medicate them against Coccidiosis but not Mereks (because I can only buy in batches enough to do 1000 chickens). If anyone else know where to get some in a smaller batch, in Australia, let me know.

In future, I'll join Hatch-a-longs. But this is my first batch, and I wanted to share in the excitement. [​IMG]

I'm candling at 9 days, and I'll see how many I have fertile then.

Feel free to throw advise at me, and being critical is fine too. I would prefer to swallow my pride rather than hurt any of my lovely poultry.

1 person likes this.
  2. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Good luck! It sounds like you have done your research! Good luck! I'm going to try to hatch my first batch as well next month! I'll subscribe to this thread in hopes of getting some good advice! Keep the pics coming!

3. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    Thank you! Good luck to you too. I'll be taking photo's of my fertile and in-fertile eggs. Though not too many, as I don't wish for them to get cold. Feel free to throw up some pictures of your own, once you have everything set up. I love to see how people hatch their peeps. :)

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    AWESOME!! and you should still join the hatchalog!! so fun and WONDERFUL prizes!

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Sweet!! cant wait to see how many hatch [​IMG]

6. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I can't wait either. I'm both looking forward to candling and fearing it. I know the breeder I got the eggs from has an average fertility rate of 10-11 out of 12, so any failures is solely on me.

And I would have loved to do the Easter Hatch-A-Long, but I only have a limited time to buy eggs. Here, it's the last month of Summer, and most breeders don't sell eggs after the last day of February, I have found.

If this Batch goes well, I'll do another of Plymouth Rock and that will be it for the season for me. That said, I'll be throwing photos of any chicks I get at everyone who stands still long enough. [​IMG]

Oh, and Tadpole98? That is a very handsome Avatar you have there. [​IMG]

7. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I started a set on the 2/2/2013 also. I have 19 buff orpington and 9 lavender orpington in my homemade igloo incubator. I got my fingers crossed for you. Let me know what day your going to candle because I just finished my diy candler and was planning on checking them on day 10.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    DSC: Wow, that looks fantastic! Well done with the set-up. Orpingtons are cool.

[​IMG] Go us! We'll have them progress at roughly the same time, that'll be a great reference point!

Feel free to show some candling photos when the day comes, I'm doing mine around then too.

9. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Wow! Looks awesome! I am just making my own incubator too! Isn't it super fun?! Do you have any tips?

10. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    How exciting! I've never hatched before but I am thinking about it since we have a lovely roo now. I'm anxious to see how things go for you. Hoping to pick up some info as well. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by