First time incubating. Shipped eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinky67, Jan 18, 2013.

1. pinky67

pinky67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    Hi! Just set my very first eggs this morning! 14 Silkies. Shipped eggs. PA to CA! Packed well...arrived intact. I let them sit for 19 hours big end up. Of the 14 at least 5 had funky air cells. Now they are all in the bator.... big end up and I am NOT going to turn or touch them for 7 days![​IMG] So far so good? [​IMG] BTW I have pretty much read EVERYTHING on the forums re hatching shipped eggs and it seems that this is the way to go[​IMG]

2. Dotshines

Dotshines Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    McAlpin, Fl
    oh good luck. I don't have any silkies yet but hope to get more chickens soon. I do have RIR eggs in my incubator. Set them on Monday the 14th. I have one Americana hen, one specked sussex rooster and 4 seramas a roo and 3 hens. Can't wait to see pictures when you eggs hatch. [​IMG]

3. McPhersonFarm

McPhersonFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2013
    Fort White, FL
    Hello, I'm waiting on some eggs as well. I am going to try my first attempt at hatching! I have the following coming

6 - Blue Swedish Duck
    6 - Rouen Duck
    15 - Rhode Island Red
    12 - Americauna

I'm excited and scared at the same time!

4. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    Thank you! good luck to you too! I hope it works out. Seramas are really tiny right? I have 3 bantam oeg and 4 ee's. and 3 brown leghorns. Love the bantam breeds!

5. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    I feel the same way....[​IMG]

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    It seems like you got everything down and are good to go. I have a batch of shipped eggs(my first shipped eggs) on day 13 of incubation. When I received them I let them sit at room temp for 24hrs then I set them in the egg turner in the already warmed up incubator(turner unplugged) I let them incubate unturned and untouched for 5 days. I think what I did worked for me, I candled all 24 eggs on day9 and had 2 clears, 3 bloodrings, 2 ?s and 17 with veins and movement. So Im happy with the results. I think you have a good plan for your eggs. Good luck and hope you have a good hatch.

7. McPhersonFarm

McPhersonFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2013
    Fort White, FL
    I'm confused as far as turning I thought you were supposed to turn them from the beginning or no? It seems like you had good results with no turning for 5 days. I just want to make sure I do mine right!

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
  9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    I have learned A LOT from your posts! Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by