First time incubating....some question on energy, and fertile eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken7777, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hi everyone, Well i have some fertile pekin duck eggs in my incubator at the moment. I was lucky to find someone that had a new Little Giant for sale for a very cheap price.

Well the eggs have been there for a couple of days now. I wanted to ask though how can i tell if they are all fertile? I see some with a dark circly dot but now veins. I just started seeing some veins on the new ones i just put in the incubator...

Also does anyone know how much energy incubators consume? What is the actual cost to have it on for about a month?

I appreciate the help, thank you!

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    If there are veins they should be good.

Don't know about energy consumption.

3. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    The energy I'm clueless with. [​IMG]

If the eggs have viens, they are fertile, but it doesn't always mean that they are still alive. [​IMG]

Keep candling and if you start to see movement, they are alive.

Keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Ditto on the veins...if you see some, you should be OK. IMO

As for electricity...The LG uses a 42 watt rope heating element. A 17" computer monitor (40 watt) uses 30 kilowatts and hour...which is close to, if run non-stop, $3.30 per month. That being said your LG should cost a little more than that, maybe $3.52 per month.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    :Thank you soo much on the reply there. Well i do see veins on the eggs now, on some of them. but i see something like a dark circly dot that doesnt move in the egg...might this egg be dead?

Also if the eggs are not fertile or they died, is it still possible to eat them or is it toxic to eat them once they are like that?( what is a way to reuse them...i guess compost but is there another way?)

Thank you very much Chix-in-GA for the energy info there, i didnt know it was that cheap to have an incubator..now i wont feel guilty of wanting to buy more eggs to hatch in the incubator for the coming months![​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i don't think it would be wise to eat eggs that have been 'slow roasting'. [​IMG]

some of mine were really still for the first couple days of development. you may want to wait a bit before taking it out.

hope your hatch is wonderful!

7. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    No problem at all...Now if you have an egg turner and a fan...the price goes up some...But not enough to break the bank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by