First Time Incubating Started with 6 now may only have 1 Need Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by timetojack, Sep 23, 2012.

1. timetojack

timetojack New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    So, I've been looking on here for some weeks now since my wife brought home a pair of silkie chickend for the garden. Once I bought a new coup I decided I'd love to have a go at incubating a small batch of eggs. So I got myself a half decent small incubator with auot turner and off I went.

I got 6 fertilised blue silkie eggs, set everything up accoridngly and off I went. Yesterday was the day 21 so I was execting to see something but nothing was obviously happening. I had already removed 3 unfertilised eggs by this point as I had been candling at regular intervals.

This morning I was delighted to see 2 of the eggs had pipped (this was 8am UK time and it is now 9.30pm). There was regualr chirping and I was really looking forward to seeing the new arrivals. About an hour ago my first chick hatched, I missed the actual hatch by minutes but had seen it chipping away all day, The 2nd chick which had pipped was no longer moving and I had not seen or heard it moving for about 3 hours. I read a number of comments and after I saw my chick roll the pipped egg over I though now is the time to try and break in to the egg and help the little one out. As soon as I took some more of the shell off it was obvious the chick had died through the course of the day.

The 3rd egg shows no sign of pipping and my dream of rearing my own batch of chicks has turned in to a bit of a nightmare. Can anyone shed any light on the death of my chick? Also should I leave the live chick in with the remaining egg? He is very active and keeps running in to it. I have the brooder set up and at the correct temperature.

I have read a few posts about loner chicks but am still concerned about it been lonely etc.

Any words of help or advice really would be appriciated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OH Geeze!!! : ( My Halo has been so alone, so I found some FREE mixed silkies and now he is happy!!! You are welcome to go have a look at the hatching links at the bottom in my signature, you will find we figured out ALOT of things we corrected on our incubation, pics links alot of info!!! even video of Halo! even how to help a chick hatch....

3. timetojack

timetojack New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I am going to collect some more eggs from a local farm so hopefully will have a better result next time round.

My little chick seems healthy and happy at the moment but I am hoping to get another couple of chicks this weekend from someone local.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good, My little Halo is happy now that he has two others, mixed breed or not he dont care!! lol Good Luck!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by